Hatboro's Historic Grist Mill
Built in 1724 as a grist mill and completely restored to its original rustic elegance in 2016, this 4 story fieldstone building sits along the Pennypack Creek in Hatboro, PA. The restoration exposed all of the original wood beams, wood columns, and 3 fireplaces.
The Dungworth Mill was named for Emmanuel Dungworth, owner and builder of the mill. Mr. Dungworth's parents were both from Yorkshire England. The building is the oldest structure still standing in Hatboro and one of the oldest mills in Pennsylvania.
During the Revolutionary War, Circa 1777 Gen. George Washington used the grain from the mill to feed his troops while fighting the Battle of Germantown and in 1778 during the Battle of Crooked Billet.
Washington was said to have visited the mill on his way to meet with Lafayette in Hartsville.
The Dungworth Mill, also known through the years as the Yerkes Mill and the Pennypack Mill , operated as a grist mill until 1912. At that time it became the "Hatboro Machine Works," which refinished rollers for other grist mills. The building is the only mill on the Pennypack Creek to still have its ‘Hurst Frame' intact. The Hurst Frame held all the running gears of the water mill so that the stone building would not be shaken down by the rumbling vibration.
In 1918 the mill became a tea house which could only be open in the summer since it was impossible to heat the building. A sign on the corner advertised “All you can eat for $1”. During the 1930’s, the building was renovated by John Cororan, a famous radio newscaster, who operated a restaurant in the mill. Since then, the building has operated as a special place for good food and great memories throughout the years.